Wednesday, February 17, 2010

1991. You never forget your first...


As I mentioned in the previous post, our league was comprised of only 6 total teams. The fact that I wasn't the best at naming teams I decided to alter my team name from the Winnebago Indians to the Birmingham Busters. I am guessing you may be wondering as to why the "Busters". Well, Buster was my teddy bear back in the day and it seemed only fitting that I move to that.

The change did me good as 1991 was the first of my championships and favorite because I beat my rival brother Derrick and his Tulsa Rush. Before the Internet days of checking fantasy scores live came the days when I would walk down to get the paper and check the stats Monday morning. Compile the numbers and add them up. That Monday I knew I had won not because I had compiled all my stats but because my brother Derrick returned home from his overnight security job and never said a word to me. In fact he ignored me completely and went to bed.

Needless to say, I knew things were in the bag.

Barry Sanders led me to the title and to this day was the greatest player in the USFC. He won 4 titles with 4 different teams. (The USFC expanded to 24 teams in 1993) The first two years of existence he was on a championship roster. He is now immortalized in the USFC Hall of Fame.

I am a little spotty as to the rest of my players but I certainly remember having Barry Word of the Kansas City Chiefs. You wouldn't think back-up running backs would be a premium in a 6 team league but Kansas City had a awesome attack in Christian Okoye and Barry Word. 1991 was a big year for me. One I shall never forget, one that gave a taste of what winning a fantasy league felt like... and I knew I liked it.
Check out the USFC Fantasy League. 20 years Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment