In the original league that we had, there was 6 owners. At the time my brothers and I decided to break away from the league and just have us 3 be owners. We decided to expand to a large amount of teams (24) to give the USFC a more NFL like experience. We also decided to start having a keeper league. Allowing teams to hold over 1 new player every year to help create dynasties and traditions.
This new set-up allowed teams to draft for example RB Marshall Faulk and hold on to him his entire career. Several players have never left a particular franchise and while it's meant some lean years for some teams there is always the one draft pick that can keep your team on top of their respective division for 10+ years. I owned the first pick of the expansion era with the then Montana Miners (later moving to Tempe). With 6 players off the board already (Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Jerry Rice, Reggie Cobb, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin).
I knew I wanted to take a running back and the decision came down to then Oiler RB Lorenzo White or San Francisco RB Ricky Watters, who was just in his 2nd year. I went with Ricky Watters and thus paved the way to several years of success for the Miners/Tempe Tornadoes. Jerry Rice led the Jacksonville Gators (Ryan's team) all the way to the league title that year and set-off the USFC on a wild ride that enters it's 20th year of existence this year.
This new set-up allowed teams to draft for example RB Marshall Faulk and hold on to him his entire career. Several players have never left a particular franchise and while it's meant some lean years for some teams there is always the one draft pick that can keep your team on top of their respective division for 10+ years. I owned the first pick of the expansion era with the then Montana Miners (later moving to Tempe). With 6 players off the board already (Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Jerry Rice, Reggie Cobb, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin).
I knew I wanted to take a running back and the decision came down to then Oiler RB Lorenzo White or San Francisco RB Ricky Watters, who was just in his 2nd year. I went with Ricky Watters and thus paved the way to several years of success for the Miners/Tempe Tornadoes. Jerry Rice led the Jacksonville Gators (Ryan's team) all the way to the league title that year and set-off the USFC on a wild ride that enters it's 20th year of existence this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment