Saturday, July 9, 2011

An Answered Prayer...


It was December 22nd, 2008. I looked in the mirror and saw a face that was completely shocked. In one hour I would have the opportunity to win the World Championship of Fantasy Football. I was filled with anticipation and excitement. It was something I thought about for the last 5 years and always in my heart believed I could do it. It was then that I said a prayer. I don't remember it word for word but I know how it went.

"Dear God, first and foremost thank you for this night and this opportunity. I pray that you keep Greg Jennings and Matt Forte healthy enough to compete tonight. All I ask is that they have a chance to play the whole game. If you find it in your Will to allow me to win The Title, I will donate 10% to my church. Please, I don't even want the money, I just want to be recognized as the best. Allow the best thing to happen for my well-being both spiritually and earthly. Not by my will, but your will be done. Amen."

Game time!!!!

Gone are the days of High Stakes Fantasy Football. My life was consumed by it to the point of looking forward to next Sunday for the 9 hour "fix" on the previous Monday night. It was a drug, an addiction, and a god. I have no doubt that had I won the title of World Champion a few years ago it would have consumed me to the point where I could not have turned back. I am thankful that I prayed to God that Monday Night that he allow the best outcome to happen for my own sake spiritually. You see, it wasn't the money that would have consumed me for it wasn't enough to change my lifestyle but the recognition would have destroyed the relationship with my Savior and I would never have gotten to a point in my life where living to praise Jesus was number 1 on my priority list.

My priorities in the past were...

1)Fantasy sports
2)Family/partner
3)Job
4)Christ

My perspective was foggy. I was very successful at what I did. I won a lot of games, leagues, money, and received the recognition. But it wasn't enough to satisfy my human nature. I was a very lost individual. I wasn't a good son, brother, nephew, uncle, friend, and partner. I would never compromise my fantasy sports for anything, including family. I scheduled everything around sports. I was certainly falling into a trap of the Devil's doing.

I have since reworked my priorities a bit in an effort to make them reflect

1)Christ
2)Family/partner
3)Job.

You see, this list is like a waterfall where Christ helps fuel the relationships and job. If he remains on top you will see improvements and fulfillment in the other parts of your life. In the past, my fantasy sports couldn't do that for me. It did validate however that when you are passionate about something and you dedicate your life to it, you can be successful.

So I feel if I am passionate about Christ and his perfect love for me, all areas of my life will be made more rewarding, meaningful, and complete.

It wasn't that God turned his back to me on December 22nd, 2008 when I finished 2nd in the WCOFF, it was that he remained in me and loved me enough to answer my prayer.

1 comment:

  1. So true and you, as always, have such a way with words! I have noticed it even more now that you have Christ first in your life. I love you.

    ReplyDelete